10 Jan 2014
Besides washing the toilet or watering the plants, rice water can also be used as a beauty product for the hair and skin.
For centuries, women in Asia have been using rice water for beautiful hair and skin. Rice water is rich in beauty minerals and vitamins that makes it an excellent skin toner and hair wash.
Benefits of rice water for the skin
Rice water can be used to steam the face, in masks, as a toner, or simply just splashed on the face in the morning or at night.
By applying rice water to our skin, it provides the following benefits:
1) When applied to the skin, rice extract increases the production of collagen while maintaining skin elasticity.
2) Rice contains a substance named Pryzanol that helps in counteracting ultraviolet rays, as well as the regeneration and reduction of dead or damaged skin cells.
3) Rich in a complex of B vitamins called inositol, which helps promote cell growth, slows down the aging process and stimulates blood flow. It is also helps to tighten pores and brings glow to the face.
4) The ferulic acid found in rice acts as an antioxidant to protect the skin free from radicals.
5) Rice contains a large amount of starch which will lighten the skin over a period of time.
Benefits of rice water for the hair
Rice water can be a great conditioner for the hair. After applying shampoo, rinse your hair with rice water and leave it on for a few minutes before washing it off with water. Rice proteins strengthen the hair shaft and helps fill in cuticle (hair) cracks. Rice water is also rich in vitamin B, which makes the hair soft, silky and shiny.
To enjoy these wonderful beauty benefits of rice water, all you have to do is just collect the water that you use to rinse your rice. You can store it in a bottle and refrigerate it for a few days, but do not keep it for more than 3-4 days as it may give off a bad smell.
The next time you wash your rice, think twice before tossing the water away!